Two months ago, I decided to go on a Weight Loss Challenge as I wanted to lose 5 kilos (11 lbs) that I gained over the months. I would like to thank of all you who supported me along this journey. Initially, I started it due to the modeling projects that I got myself involved into (giggling now) and just coming into the realisation that married life is not an excuse to gain more inches around the waist (ouch, right?). Along the way, I’ve figured out that there’s more to that. More than posing without worrying about exposing those excess fats (lol), loosing those ‘muffin tops’ I gained from a happy marriage (more giggles) and fitting once again into my size 8 dresses, jeans and stylist’s clothes, I rediscovered the beauty of maintaining a healthy lifestyle. And who wouldn’t want to wake up with a flatter tummy?!
Item no. 4 of the I-don’t-want-to-say-Conclusion part of my earlier post, I mentioned that I got addicted to juicing. The truth is, I had a relapse: eating oily and some processed food when we hosted our friends’ vacation (just imagine I was cooking binagoongan, ginataang alimasag, sinigang, rice and all for 2 weeks – not to forget the sweets at night – oh, good times). I applied the polite portion principle though. During this, I noticed that my skin started to breakout and I almost gained what I just lost. Phew… So, being inspired by some of my fitness partners, I bought a juicer and I started juicing various produce. My juicer has been the busiest machine in my kitchen. I’ve been experimenting on different mixes, I find it de-stressing. Mark and I replace one meal with 1-2 cups of freshly made juice (mostly dinner) for few weeks now. I noticed that I’ve lost 3 kilos and few cm off my waistline. Yahoooooo! Well that comes with working out almost 5 days week, holistic approach remember?. I also noticed that with juicing, my skin got clearer with a pinkish glow effect. Not only that, I am more energetic especially when I do my usual fitness exercises.
One of my friends, Bambi, also shared her juicing experience:
“I have been juicing on and off for almost a decade already. But seriously juiced (everyday) just this year. Our family doctor recommended a recipe to make us healthier and have glowing skin noticeable in just a week. So we tried it. Went back to it this year and really noticed a big difference in my energy level so I continued my research (since that recipe tasted nasty) and found a whole lot of new recipes to try.
Since I started juicing, I noticed I got more energy and my skin is just glowing. There is that rosy pink glow to it. I can do so much more in the day than I used to. The energy is the most important change that I noticed. I became stronger. And I’m a frustrated runner. My knees hurt everytime I try to run, even for just a few seconds. But recently I can do a minute of running already alternating with brisk walking then running again. I’m faster now. I’ve always known it has got to be the juicing. And just today, before writing this, I discovered that cucumbers help lubricate your joints. I juice cucumber a lot, so now I know why all of a sudden I can run a bit longer. Yahoo! I got hooked. And been sharing the benefits of juicing to my friends since.”
Aside from being a business woman, previous top model, super wife and mom, she’s also my juicing guru. We’ve been talking about different types of juicers (centrifugal vs masticating juicers and how we can’t wait to get our hands on Hurom HU-700), various juice mixes, healthy advise and such over FB (she is based in Manila).
As I get more serious about juicing and as inspired by her, I’ve started an Alpha Step: 5-day Reset on May 13. This means that I’ll be eating no food for a period of 3 days but instead, replacing all the meals with 100% fresh veggies and fruit juice every 3 hours upto 6 times a day and consuming 10-12 cups daily, then slowly introducing protein on Day 4 & 5 then back to eating clean and regular exercise. Here’s a helpful quick-start article by Drew Canole about this – please click here. I don’t think I have the symptoms of poor digestion as mentioned in the article but I believe my body deserves a break from heavy food intake. Drew also stated that, “Alpha Step”…is the beginning step in any new workout regime or fitness goal. Okay, game.
So guys, here’s my Alpha Step Diary:
The day before (May 12 | Sunday):
I had a good chat with Bambi as she was on her last day (Day 5) of this detox plan. I also read few articles and blogs about Alpha Step so that I get a clear understanding of what am I getting myself into. I got really excited, unfortunately, most shops here are closed on Sundays (it sucks I know) so I scheduled the green grocery shopping the following day.
This is it. Day 1. (May 13 | Monday):
- Weight: 57.7kgs
- I had warm water with lemon as usual (let’s call this L-H20 and this is different from squeezing lemon on drinking water under room temperature; to cut the long story short, the difference is the water temperature)
- I had a banana-kiwi smoothie for breakfast since bananas do not go in the juicer. I blended it well to ensure that it’s less thicker than a normal smoothie, almost close to the juice texture.
- I quickly went to the shop nearby and picked few essentials spending about €8 (I already have some good o’l veggies and fruits at home to begin with)
- I’m glad I had a good 60-min cardio at the gym last Saturday as this program prohibits excessive exercise / lifting weights for 5 days. I just did few squats at home.
- I did the normal no.2 in the morning (sorry I had to write this in case this changes along the course)
- Three hours later, I juiced 4 celery stalks, 4 carrots, 2 red apples, half beet root and a handful of spinach
- My next juice was 4 big tomatoes and 2 small carrots – kinda sour…
- I was drinking loads of water squeezed with lemon all day
- I felt kinda dizzy, maybe that’s my body adjusting or I was just spending too much time infront of the computer, anyways, I kept on reminding myself – I can do it. Here’s my work desk with my juice (sorry it’s a bit cluttered, I usually clear it up after):
- I really wanted to stuff my mouth with the leftover M&Ms.. Lol.. But I thought, it’s not worth it.
- Mark picked me up to do grocery shopping and we spent nearly €100 on produce! Okay, this is not a cheap diet but I know it’s a good health investment.
- I got a bit hungry so I made beet root, carrot and cucumber juice – not my favourite mix so I had water with lemon immediately
- This is the most challenging bit: cooking salmon and aglio e olio for Mark’s dinner. Okay, okay, okay… I had to hold my breath and focus on my goal: detox to lose unwanted fats and be healthier. Fine.
- Of course I had to go to the loo frequently due to the amount of liquids drank all day (not to do no.2 – just want to make it clear)
- For the first time in months, I felt sleepy at 9:30pm and went to bed early.
Ain’t That Easy. Day 2. (May 14 | Tuesday):
- Weight: 56.5 kilos – I already lost 1.2 kilos
- I had the same in the morning: L-H20 plus banana and kiwi juice-like smoothie
- I didn’t take any fiber supplement as advised and there wasn’t a change in my toilet routine, I was still able to do no.2 at around the same time (sorry, it’s gross but I have to include it)
- I juiced greens for lunch: broccoli, bell pepper, granny smith apple, cucumber, celery and parsley.
- Dizziness gone and I felt energetic. However I am paranoid of pimple-popping-detox-result. I’ve read few blogs and they’ve experienced severe breakouts during the juice fast. Thankfully, no red pop on my skin yet. I guess that’s because I’ve been juicing already and been avoiding greasy junk food prior to this.
- The green juice made me full for the next hours until late in the afternoon. I’ve been eating Juice Plus Chewables (made from real fruits and veggies in chewy form – it melts before it even goes down to the esophagus so I guess it’s okay).
- Another challenge: I prepared roast chicken, potatoes with onions, red and yellow bell peppers for Mark’s dinner – now that made me hungry. I was okay the whole day until this came along! I thought it was going to be easy but it made me crave for hot food! Geesh, the whole house smells of roasted chicken! I realised this is not easy.
- So I made a juice: half of a red bell pepper, 1 apple, 2 carrots and 2×1″ ginger. OMG – I don’t know what I was thinking – it really tasted awful. Super yuck! I only had few gulps and I had to bin it… I felt really bad, I hate wasting food :(
- To give myself a little treat, I made my one of my favourite mixes – beet, carrot and apple, my comfort juice (others call it the ‘Miracle Drink’) and went to bed at past 10ish
I’m Still Alive: Day 3 (May 15 | Wednesday):
- Yes, I’m still alive! lol. The thought of ‘no food’ was a bit scary to begin with but thinking of all the benefits from juicing and upon reading the testimonials, obviously this plan is created for a nourishing detox and I woke up happier this morning. It’s the last day anyway and tomorrow I can insert egg whites in my diet, then fish the day after.
- This morning, I weighed 56.1 (dropped almost 1 lbs), lost 2.6cm off my waistline and no breakouts – yahooooo!
- After the usual L-H20, I had a smoothie made of 2 bananas and a cupful of strawberries for breakfast and that kept me full for hours (been drinking water with lemon in between as well)
- Normal toilet routine – meaning my digestion is still good :-)
- Got a bit hungry so I prepared a juice made of 1 pack of asparagus, 2 tomatoes and 1 carrot.
- At around half 5 in the afternoon, I made an orange juice (using 6 oranges). Did you know that oranges are good for the skin? That’s one beauty secret revealed :-)
- I wanted to join Mark in the gym at around 7ish but I opted not too since the plan prohibits excessive exercise as I mentioned earlier. I also have loads of unfinished work to do anyways…
- Like in the past two days, the most challenging bit comes when I prepare dinner for Mark. I cooked Spaghetti Bolognaise (another favourite). I thought to myself, “It’s okay, Kat. Few more days and you can eat a polite portion of SpagBol. You’ve come this far, so don’t give up”. Hope you don’t get me wrong, I’m not depriving myself – I’m detoxing just for 5-days :-)
- For dinner, I made 1 beet root, 1 carrot, 1 apple, 1 cucumber, 4 celery stalks and handful of parsley.
Smiling on a Gloomy: Day 4 (May 16 | Thursday):
- I woke up on a gloomy and rainy morning (reminds me of London) but I feel lighter. I went to the bathroom and I weighed 55.3kgs (1.7 lbs lost) and dropped 1cm off my waistline. No breakouts too apart from a dried tiny spot on my forehead (I had this before I started the Alpha Step)
- I had 4 boiled eggs whites on a empty stomach replacing one juice consumption. I was so excited to have egg whites. I seemed like I’ve never felt as excited as this about egg whites in my entire life! That was filling and I had a good burp (oooops, excuse me).
- Banana, strawberry and kiwi smoothie for brunch at 11:45
- I realised no.2 didn’t take place (I haven’t taken any fibre supplement yet)
- I’ve made another green juice: 3 celery stalks, 1 cucumber, parsley, broccoli and 1 lemon. Tangy, tangy…
- I had another 2 egg whites for dinner :)
- I was sleepy at around 10ish but Mark and I were watching Rurouni Kenshin (it’s the movie version of Samurai X cartoon series ages ago, reminds me of good o’l childhood days) so we were up until about 12midnight. I was a bit cheeky and tried one of his M&Ms..but apparently, I was surprised that I didn’t like the taste – I can sorta feel the green juice on my tongue mixed with chocolate, nasty. Anyway, at least it puts me off from getting another one.
I Survived! Day 5 (May 17 | Friday):
- Last day of my Alpha Step. It’s so sunny outside so I wore my trainers and went for a quick walk around the neighborhood. But before that, I had 3 boiled egg whites for breakfast. I weighed 54.8kgs (1.3 kilos / 2.9 lbs lost) and dropped another 1cm off my waistline. I feel that my energy’s back to normal, actually I can run but I just thought maybe I’ll give it few more days.
- After the walk, I grabbed a freshly made juice from Zumo at Nice Etoile. It’s called Sun Kissed made of mango, orange, pineapple and passion fruit (€5.50 for grande). It’s so refreshing! I walked back home drinking this juice.
- I was a bit stressed for missing out my normal morning toilet routine yesterday, glad it went back to normal today (see I told you, it has to be documented :p)
- For lunch, I’ve juiced 3 apples and 2 carrots.
- After hours and hours of telecon, writing reports, etc for work, Mark and I went to the gym at 6:30pm. I had a banana before (that’s not part of the program, I just had one). My friend, Justine, was also there and we did 30-min cross training (y’know that machine and it works as if you’re climbing steps), 30-min cycling and 4-mins rowing (we played that fish game program of the machine). We both realised that it’s so much better working out (well, cardio at least) when you’re chatting with a girl friend! :-)
- For dinner, FINALLY!!!! Tadaaaaaa……. ovenbaked FISH!
- Okay, it may not look that exciting for you but I was sooooooo looking forward to eating dinner with my husband. Since Monday, I was just having juice while he was eating the food I cooked. He had rice with this fish but I just had the fish meat (I seasoned this fish with tomatoes, shallots, spring onions, lemon, ginger, pinch of salt and pepper and little olive oil popped in the oven for 15 mins covered with foil then another 15 mins without – just in case you want to find out the recipe).
- Happy, happy, happy :-)
That’s my Alpha Step experience, the first detox program that I’ve tried. I lost 3 kilos (6.61 lbs) and about 4cm off my waistline. I kinda want to become skinnier, basically get my pre-married shape back but really beyond that, I did this because I want to be healthier (shredding off those unwanted ‘muffin tops’ is a BIG bonus, wink*… oh, plus the glowing skin). Of course I won’t binge on food after fasting for 5 days. Slowly, I’ll go back to eating clean and will avoid junk food as much as possible (goodbye McDo Chicken Nuggets!).
If you are looking for a detox program without losing the important nutrients needed by our body, I think this one is for you. Don’t worry about not having carbs, it’s just 5 days anyway! Just make sure you consult your doctor first especially if you are undergoing medication.
I suggest that before you do this, get a juicer and insert this juicing habit in your daily life. Try replacing one meal, preferably at night, with 1-2 cups of freshly made juice like what I’d been doing before this detox program (and will be doing after). Then see if you think you are ready for the Alpha Step. Otherwise, juice anyway. And keep juicing, baby!
Here are quick tips about juicing:
- Have the right mindset. Be beautiful inside and out.
- It ‘s really important that you connect with the people who are also into this. It’s helpful to follow blogs, FB pages and Instagram posts. I’ve downloaded ‘The Everything Juicing Book’ by Carole Jacobs and ‘The Funk Fresh Juice ebook’ by Jason Vale in my iBooks.
- Get a good juicer. Currently, I am using an Electrolux centrifugal juicer since I didn’t really know what to get at first. Now, I’m saving up for a Hurom slow juicer (it’s about €429!). Also consider if it is easy-to-clean as you must clean your juicer every after use.
- Make sure you wash your fruits and veggies properly, you’ll never know! Also it’s better to use a plastic chopping board instead of a wooden one. Do not chop meats using this chopping board – get a separate one for that.
- Do not store produce in the fridge for long. They only last for few days. I know it will take you several trips to the grocery weekly but believe me, it’s all worth it. Plus you get to burn those extra fats by walking to the supermarket ;-)
- Be prepared for frequent toilet visit. If you’re mostly outside, don’t forget the tissues and wet wipes :p
- Even busy people can make this a healthy habit.
- Juice greens! Juice those superfoods that you can’t eat – at least you can cover your nose when you drink!
- Juice less fruits at night – they’re good during the day or before the work-out. How about a refreshing apple-carrot juice after a 5km run?
- Drink your juice immediately, you don’t to lose those nutrients, baby (*wink)
- Drink warm water with lemon first thing in the morning – it alkalizes your body.
- If you feel you haven’t juiced enough, try Juice Plus Chewables (I used to eat Haribo gummies whilst working, now I replaced it with these all-natural fruit and veggie chewies)
- Get a juicing journal or save your juicing mixes in your iPhone notes. I like taking pictures too.
- Try, experiment, enjoy!
- Just think of your health, really. That’s about it. Benefits will follow :-)
Happy Juicing and cheers to a healthier us xxx
P.S. If you want to get to know more about JuicePlus, please contact Loremi Cedo: Mobile +33 6 03 13 58 73 | Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
This article is also featured at Snoochie Boochies.