Vello! Before running all the weekend errands such as catching up with our domestic backlogs (grocery shopping, house cleaning, etc… etc..) then attending an event later in the evening, we wanted to enjoy the sunny Saturday morning by the promenade – it’s a 10-min walk from where we live but Mark prefers driving which took us about 20 minutes since it’s not easy to find a parking (okay, he’s excused as we had to go to Carrefour afterwards). I’m not really into jogging/running so we thought of cycling (Mark and I tried running together before and I ended up doing a photo walk!). I had to convince him though to use Velo Bleu instead of his racer bike so I can catch up, haha.
We usually see these self-service blue bikes, also known as Velo Bleu, parked at over 100 stations in Nice. I first tried this when I was on a 10-day holiday in Paris over 6 or 7 years ago and Velo Bleu was newly introduced then. I really think that this is good stuff because -
1. It’s environmental-friendly.
2. If you don’t cycle regularly (like me), it saves you money from buying a bike.
3. It’s cheap. You only pay €1 for 1 day and it’s free if you use it for less than half an hour (there is a €150 deposit but will not be debited from your credit card unless you didn’t return the bike!)
3. It has 120 stations in Nice so if you’re fed up cycling (lol), you can easily find a station available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. There are cycling lanes as well so no need to worry about being ran over by a sports car!
4. It helps burn those calories while being exposed to the fresh Rivera air…
5. It’s a good inexpensive bonding activity :-)
Confession: I thought the bikes were really super heavy by the looks of it. I was kinda struggling and complaining whilst cycling only to find out that gears can be adjusted! Haha, silly me.
You can rent a bike by phoning the number listed or by using your credit card at the station (you must have a 4-digit pin). For more info, please visit its English website at http://en.nicetourisme.com/velo-bleu or you can also download Velo Bleu app in your iPhone.
If you don’t live in Nice, check out Velo Bleu in your local ville :-)
Happy cycling and enjoy the rest of your weekend! xxx
P.S. It’s Monday tomorrow, make sure you Shoo those Monday blues away!