Nice, South of France | January 19, 2013
Earlier this month, I was still wearing my classic quilt Burberry jacket over a tshirt and pair of jeans with pumps when the weather was still sunny and at its double digit (just like spring in the UK). If I were in London, this would be my summer outfit or I would be in my puff jacket over few layers of clothes as early as end of October!
However, in the past couple of days, it went down between 3 – 7°C. And FYI, it’s already below freezing and snowing in other EU cities like London, Paris, Amsterdam and those in the north. (I remember when I was in Norway 2 winters ago, it was -17°C! Brrrrrr). During this cold, or must I say, very cold season, it is important not just to wrap up warm but also protect our skin. Not only it is prone to the harsh effects of the winter chills but also to the adverse exposure to heaters.
These are the things that I do which my skin loves and yours might too:
1. Basic 101: CLEANSE.
- I use La Roche-Posay’s Effaclar Purifying Foaming Gel. (€12 for 200ml). This soap-free, paraben-free and oil-free French product does the work. It’s gentle on the skin and can take off make-up. This winter (and I guess for all year round), it is best to not use a product that will make your skin dry as some cleaners do.
2. Most days of the week I try to be make-up free but I never fail to MOISTURISE.
- For the face, I use Oil of Olay Natural White Day and Night Cream (Php 600 for both; €12) and you can use this in all seasons. This is not yet available in France but I highly recommend this duo (you can get Oil of Olay in London or the Philippines). The moisturizing day cream provides 24-hour sun block protection (yes, we still need sun block even in winter) and let your skin benefit from the vitamins in the night cream as you sleep at a very affordable price. I have a normal-combination skin but I think this product is also suitable for other skin types – my husband uses it too! You might like these other products that I’ve previously used Liz Earle Skin Repair Moisturizer (tried and tested for 6 years when I was living in London and you can use it all year-round) and Crème de la Mer Moisturising Cream if you are willing to splurge €130 for a 30ml pot.
- For the body, I use Sanctuary Mandelular Sensuous Body Soufflé (£10.50 / €13). Customers give it a 5-star rating and I do too! As its label claims, it creates a luxurious pampering Spa treatment at home. So soft and easy to apply leaving no grease behind and with its sensuous fragrance, I fell in love with this product since I discovered in London few years ago. Unfortunately, Sanctuary Spa Covent Garden (the maker of this skin gem) does not do international shipment yet and this body soufflé is not yet available at the beauty shops here in France. So I would like to thank my friends visiting me from London and bringing this daily spa escape product. Tip: Exfoliate your skin once a week (use any body scrub product that’s available at your local beauty store) and apply this body soufflé after, you’ll have a baby soft skin! (If you are skint, here’s an alternative: Nivea Soft Moisturising Creme, price is more or less €5).
3. EXERCISE + proper SLEEP = healthier blood circulation = healthier skin. Winter is not an excuse to skip exercising and sleeping properly. We must, we must, we must! After that gluttonous Christmas season, it gives me more reason to get rid of those unwanted fats thru proper exercise and diet.
My best friend’s pillow has a print saying, ‘Live Now Sleep Later’. Yes, ‘live now’ but live healthily and get decent amount of sleep (throw the pillow, Wenia!). My post grad classmate once told me, “If I don’t get enough sleep, I feel bad. And if I feel bad, I look bad”. Same goes with our skin.
4. I seriously DRINK plenty of water to keep my skin hydrated. Last summer, my husband and I discovered the health benefits of Kangen Water® by Enagic. This water technology produces ionized alkaline and acidic waters through electrolysis (water purifyer machine costs €3,100, payment plan available). For more info, please read more by clicking here.
5. I EAT yogurt and oranges everyday (yogurt has probiotics and essential vitamins good for the inside and apparently you can also apply this on the outside as a facial mask). Oranges provide vitamin C and A which help strengthen the skin and also it is a source of anti-oxidants that help prevent free radicals and toxins from oxidizing and attacking healthy body cells (Read more by clicking here).
So there you go. You’re welcome to share yours too :-)
Keep warm and have a healthy skin xxx
P.S. Here’s an upclose photo, no filter, no edits, no make-up :-) Taken after our long drive from Nice to Geneva during winter of 2012. Oh please excuse our eyebags, it was a looooong drive! But guess the recommendation above works ;-)